I have synaesthesia, which means that I blend senses together. In my case it is colour and text, and sometimes sound and colour. My particular form is called grapheme synaesthesia. This is one reason why I enjoy playing around with text in smaller units than the word. Here are a few places where you can find my attempts at visual poetry & below the links, you will find recent work, which i post on my visual poetry blog.
latest visual poetry chapbook is "une semaine dans la vie de l'alphabet" published in Puddles of Sky Press' "Illiterature, Issue 3: a journal of minimalist poetry"
In 2012, my visual poetry was published in the Last Vispo Anthology by Fantagraphics.
Gary Barwin included a talk and interview with me about my visual poetry in his Jacket2 feature, Languageye.
Drunken Boat Issue 10
Synaesthesian Alphabet, by Amanda Earl
Amanda Earl at otherclutter.com
Red, by Amanda Earl at unlikelystories.org
- 3 essays to support Judith: Women Making Visual Poetry now on line
1. Women at the Vanguard of Visual Poetry, If Only We Had Known: Overcoming Erasure to Make Connections Between Past, Present and Future Women Making Visual Poetry
published in Periodicities, March 23, 2021. thanks to the editor, rob mclennan.
2. Women Making Visual Poetry As Radical Acts of Witness, Memory and Insistence
published in the Typescript, April 5, 2021
thanks to the editor, Theresa Smalec.
3. Creating Culture Among Women: A Conversation with Imogen Reid: Friendship and List Making for Judith: Women Making Visual Poetry
Part 1, April 7, 2021
Part 2, April 9, 2021
Part 3, April 12, 201
published in Wisdom Body Collective
thanks to the editor, Amy Bodeba
stay tuned for essays in print publications eventually.
and please keep supporting and sharing the IndieGoGo campaign for Judith: Women Making Visual Poetry, A 21st Century Anthology edited by Amanda Earl and forthcoming from Timglaset Editions soon!
thanks to all the contributors and all who've supported the book and the campaign. you're lovely.
- Please support Judith: Women Making Visual Poetry
- The Grey Girls' Guide to the Alphabet of Trauma, a work in progress by yrs truly
- a field guide to fanciful bugs reissued by above/ground press
- Where can you find work from the Vispo Bible (as of February 3, 2021)